Chocolate chip caramel what? Chocolate chip salted caramel cookie bars. Whew! What a mouth full! The salted part threw me off a bit the first time I saw it, but it really brings out the flavor of the chocolate and caramel. Plus, the caramel gives the dessert a fall-ish feel- perfect for the crisp weather of late autumn.
The recipe’s been on my bucket list for a while now. I ended up bringing the bars to school for my friend’s birthday. Our lunch table devoured them! The extra quickly disappeared in French!
-2 cups flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-12 tbls butter melted
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup sugar, granulated
-1 egg yolk
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
-10 oz soft caramel candy squares
-3 tbls heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 9 by 9 pan.
2. Cream butter and sugars. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Line the pan with half the dough. Meanwhile, microwave the caramels and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl on high for about 2 1/2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds.
4. Pour the caramel over the dough and sprinkle with sea salt. Let stand a few minutes so the caramel can firm. Spread the rest of the dough onto the pan so the caramel is hidden. Top with more sea salt.
6. Bake for about 37 minutes. Let the bars cool for about 15 minutes. Cut them, but let them remain in the pan for another 15 minutes or until you can remove them without the bars falling apart. Enjoy!